Oh Those Smooth Dominican Cigars – Let’s Watch Babunuco Roll One

Cigar Maker and Restaurant

Cigar Maker and Restaurant

Hi Guys.  It’s Barry in the DR.  There is this quaint and quirky little off-the-beaten-path restaurant/bar/cigar maker in Cabrera that is worth a visit on any trip to Cabrera.  Now granted, you will probably need someone that lives in Cabrera to lead you there because this place really is off-the-beaten-path.  But if you love quality hand rolled cigars rolled right in front of you at a reasonable price, or the freshest platter of conch ceviche you can find, or tropical drinks that will knock your socks off….. then Babunuco is a must visit.  When I say quirky… I mean quirky.   Yes, it is one of those typical open air restaurants you find down here, but that is all that is typical about this place.  You will see a conglomeration of artsy and eclectic “treasures” collected from all over the island.  In some ways it kind of reminds me of a backstreet Key West hippie shack from the early 60s.  All it lacks is Jimmy Buffet himself.

Watch  Babunuco and his assistant roll up a few cigars and take a peek at the restaurant.

For today, it’s Barry in the DR.  See you on a future Discovery Tour.

Mitchell February 20, 2013 at 12:33 am

We visited Babunuco in the DR with Barry a couple weeks ago. If you like a good cigar, this is a real treat. I shared one with a cigar friend of mine two days ago and I was amazed he smoked it right down to a stub without any burn. He said it was a mighty fine cigar. The pride and craftsmanship that Babunuco and his wife put into their cigars is a joy to watch. Don’t miss this stop on your DR Escapes visit!

Dave February 27, 2013 at 1:55 am

If you like cigars make sure that you go by Babunuco’s place. I’ve always liked Dominican cigars and these are as good as I’ve ever had. They’re rolled nice and tight and the wrappers don’t unravel like some of the hand rolled cigars I’ve had in the past. They smoke smooth and mellow and no bad aftertaste. Even the non-smokers were commenting on the sweet aroma. And of course the price is great. This is going to be one of my regular stops in Cabrera for sure.

Barry February 27, 2013 at 2:38 am

Thanks Dave, While I’ve got the cig. habit and don’t smoke cigars several of the good folks who do have commented how the quality compairs to anything they’ve ever smoked including some 30 dollar cigars from Cuba only these were bought for a couple of bucks each. Glad you’re comming back to enjoy life, rum and some fine cigars.Liane and I can’t wait to see you again. Once again a BIG THANKS for the hat you gave me I wear in everyday.
Barry

Modesto June 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Great cigars, friend gave me a box of 8, would like to buy in USA or order.

Barry June 30, 2013 at 2:22 am

I’ll meet with Juan soon as I have the time. We’ll see how it could be done. Tied up over the next couple of weeks though. If you don’t here from me by then send me a reminder. I’m confident we could get it done.

Steve March 13, 2014 at 12:26 am

Is it possible to order Babunuco cigars and have shipped to USA…

Barry March 13, 2014 at 2:01 am

I’m sure that’s possible. If you want his phone number or email let me know

Steve March 13, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Yes please. Do you know if he speaks English…

Barry March 13, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Yes he does speak reasonable English. His first name is Roberto but we all call him Juan. His number is 829-338-8707. Please mention that you got his name from Barry. Let me know if you need anything else.

Steve March 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thank you Barry. If you happen to have his email too – maybe easier to get in contact worth Juan…

Steve

Barry March 14, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Happen to be going there for dinner tonight. I will forward it and let him know you will be reaching out to him

Barry March 15, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Steve here you are.
Babunuco
Juan Alberto Martinez
babunucobar@hotmail.com
829-338-8707
website http://www.babunuco.rd-crea.com

Let me know if you need anything else.