Location, Location, Location…. Real Estate, Safety, Lifestyle AND Appreciation

Everything from this Bali style castle to the simplest of dwellings you'll find it in the DR.

Everything from this Bali style castle to the simplest of dwellings you’ll find it in the DR.

Hi Guys, Barry in DR. Of course you know I am a big proponent of the north coast of the Dominican Republic as a viable escape haven for U.S., Canadian and European expats.  You have heard my reasons, including the abundance of fresh foods and water, low cost of living, ideal climate and  uncrowded world-class beaches.  But I have another less obvious reason for investing my own money in the region.

I am a trend follower.  For close to 30 years I have closely watched what has happened with real estate appreciation of ocean front and ocean view property all over the world.  Of course like any real estate investment… you make your profit by buying “right”.  You look for locations that have not yet hit the radar.  Cabrera Dominican Republic certainly fits that bill, but I have a few other criteria.  I want real estate I can actually ENJOY as it appreciates.  Here again, the Cabrera area fits that bill too.  One last thing I look for in real estate these days is a location that offers adequate shelter from the upcoming collapse of major world currencies.  Once again, Cabrera fits the bill. Local sustainability built on self reliance. Cabrera hosts a section of non-export but still is part of a much larger farming region that runs along the entire north coast of the nation. A region consisting of a wide range of fruits, veggies, meats, dairy products and fish. Cabrera can be summed up best as being a combination of self reliance and barter all in one easy to get along community.

Back Home with The Wife, Chickens, 4 Cats and a dog.

Back Home with The Wife, Chickens, 4 Cats and a dog.

If you have visited Cabrera on one of my free Discovery Tours, perhaps you may wonder why I am so convinced that the property in this area will continue to appreciate over the coming years.  Well, there are a couple main drivers in my opinion.

First, over the next ten years more and more Americans, Canadians and Europeans will justifiably decide to leave, either full or part time, their homelands to gain a better quality of life at a lower cost.

Secondly, major investors and government officials in the Dominican Republic will make strategic investments in both tourism and high-end developments near by.  Below you will read just a couple excerpts about several current developments on the north coast.  The Playa Grande development mentioned is only about 5 miles from Cabrera, while the Puerto Plata developments are only about 35 miles away.  Both of these follow the construction of a new international airport near Nagua last year, which is only about 30 miles away.

In short, this little pocket of ocean front rural community we call Cabrera is strategically situated between major development.  Close enough to benefit from appreciation, yet far enough away to avoid the tourists.

In an excerpt from the Baltimore Post Examiner newspaper:

…. the country is clear and away the regional leader when it comes to tourism. In 2012, more than 4.56 million tourists visited the country by air, a 5.9 percent increase over the year before.

…. in February of this year, Dominican President Danilo Medina cut the ribbon at the Costa Norte tourist complex in Playa Grande, in the province of María Trinidad Sánchez. The $400 million complex — which includes a 16-room boutique hotel and residential lots — is the largest to be built in the history of the province and the north coast since the 1970s, when Playa Dorada and Puerto Plata International Airport were built.

…. then in March of this year Medina presided over another groundbreaking for Playa Grande Aman Resort & Golf Course, a $500 million, low-density resort with 11 kilometers of seafront and an 18-hole Robert Trent Jones golf course. Up to 400 residential villas will be built at the site if all goes according to plan.

…. the International Association of Golf Tour Operators has selected the Dominican Republic as its 2013 “Golf Destination of the Year in the Caribbean and Latin America” for the second time.  The DR was chosen by the group’s 450 members in 59 countries.

…. cruise ship passengers continue to flock to the Dominican Republic. In early February, Carnival Corp. and the Dominican shipping agency Baez & Rannik announced the launch of construction of the Puerto Plata tourism port at Maimon Bay. That project is expected to generate $65 million in investment by the local private sector.  The developers and supporters anticipate that the project will attract up to 250,000 cruise-ship passengers the port’s first year of operation.

Originally from : Baltimore Post Examiner

Playa Grande Golf Development

Playa Grande Golf Development

Now don’t get me wrong.  I personally don’t invest in real estate anywhere in anticipation of appreciation from development like these.  I only look at things like this as sort of a “bonus” in case they happen to get completed.  I do suspect most of these will be developed as many have already started, but for me, I buy real estate at “todays” values based on what I can see with my own eyes and based on the utility I plan to get out of the property.  Here again, the Cabrera area fits the bill for me.  The property has not been jacked up to unrealistic values and the tourists have not invaded the area.

If you want, on your free Discovery Tour you can take a look at some of the mountain farms, cliffside homesites and ocean view homes in this area to decide for yourself whether real estate is still a bargain in this area.

Perhaps in today’s atmosphere of uncertainty  one of the most important reasons for investing part of your portfolio into hard assets that are located outside your own nation is the safety net it creates from confiscation. After twenty plus years of trends study at least for my way of understanding allocating part of one worth in another nation is still the best prevention from confiscation. Over history Governments seem to get very aggressive in acquiring your wealth to save theirs. History repeats because human nature remains the same. Until next time this is Barry in DR and I’m out.

If you want to know more about the free Discovery Tours, click on the button below.

DR Escapes Discovery Tour More Info

michael June 12, 2013 at 4:54 am

Barry. I cant come to DR til Sept. . and this article your wrote here is making the wait more painful to deal with . Great job. THANKS .
Havent seen a video lately!

Im on a job saving bank and be done in September then free (hoping for dr connection) so save me one of those dr property deals.

regards, michael

Barry June 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Thanks Michael as we always appreciate peoples comments. Looking forward to meeting you and introducing you to some great folks. Yes I have to make some more videos and am going to be doing one about a couple of great people really making a positive difference here. They go by the name threesixteen missions and are working with our youth. A super family of four that my wife and I really like and respect. Michael as I mention to everyone first lets see if you develop that inner sense of belonging while you’re here. If you do them you’ll know this is the right place for you to be as that is the sense that will allow the other senses to follow and appear into your life. Love, Peace, tranquility and all of the other positive traits can’t develop without that sense of actually belonging. Looking forward to meeting and spending time together. Lot to see and lots of great folks for you to meet.

Best
Barry in DR

michael June 13, 2013 at 3:41 am

Hi Barry, I play golf.
How much are green fees for a local avid golfer?
Do you play golf?

Randy Rode November 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Barry……I just wanted to leave some random comments and thoughts about my life here in the DR, especially after just returning from my annual two week stay in the U.S. to visit friends and family.
The first thing I noticed was a general overall change in the way I felt physically,after the first week , I chalk this up to…..being in the airconditioning all the time, being around crowds of people in malls and crowded shopping areas, and lastly , from eating all the processed foods , loaded up with chemicals and preservatives. I can actually tell the difference,compared to my diet in the DR, after eating only fresh fruits and vegetables and freshly caught fish, and some local chicken, beef and pork, and believe me, I am definitely not a health food nut or some kind of far out kind of a person that has to eat only organic foods, but consider this……….
Since I have been living in the DR, about seven years now, full-time, I have lost 10″ off my waistline, from a 44 to a 34, incredible, not to mention losing more than 80#`s, that is without dieting or consciously trying, just good solid, healthy food, and not a bunch of processed junk. This change in my eating habits initially came about as an econimic decision, fresh fruits and vegetables are “dirt”, (excuse the pun) cheap.
Did I mention that I suffered from extremely serious GERD, Gastric Reflux Disease, and had to take a $30.00 acid blocker every day of my life, now……..no reflux, no meds , no wasted money. I am nearly off my high blood pressure meds, going to 1/2 and then a few years later another 50% reduction, now I take a piece so small, it doesn`t really matter, I will go off them completely real soon.
Sorry, I almost forgot to tell you about the 100 point reduction in my cholesterol. I get it checked regularly, and the complete blood panel is very affordable, maybe $35.00 compared to, what in the U.S.? $200….$300.00?
Plus the Doctors visit to take the blood, another $200.00??
Ridiculous, the cost of health care in the U.S. …..Ridiculous!!
My friend had his ears cleaned out in the U.S., it took a few minutes and they charged him $203.00 $203.00????? are they kidding or what.Why not $303.00??? What`s another hundred bucks. Here in Cabrera an office visit is 500 Dominican pesos, $12.00. Go Figure!
These are real world, real person, un-solicited comments because this is something I want people to know about and to share my personal besting while living here in the DR, especially the North coast and Cabrera.
Capt. Randy Rode, a happy and healthy resident of Cabrera and owner/operator of North Coast Sportfishing and B&B

maria November 24, 2013 at 12:43 am

Hi! I am asingle disabled mom 55 years old.I plan on selling my small home in the states and going somewhere safer.I am currently on disability r there ways for english speaking people to make some kind of living there.I want to be totally self sufficiant so thinking haveing a place where I could grow fruit to sell ? Also what about education for a hs student

Barry November 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hello Maria, I’m posting you a reply. Please return to the site and fill out the form on the site. From there I’ll respond so it private and together lets set up a time so I can reach out to you and have a chat together. There’s several questions I would want to as before being able to form an accurate opinion on your situation.