Expats Guide To The Dominican Republic – Danilo Medina

Danilo Medina President

Danilo Medina President

Hi Guys, Barry in DR.  This is the fourth and final history video in our “Expats Guide to the Dominican Republic: series of videos.  In some respects, this video is more like picking up the newspaper and reading about what is happening right now.  And I think you will agree that what is happening right now is pretty encouraging for us expats and for the citizens as well.

Danilo is proving to be a brilliant leader and you do not have to look very far to see the impact of his programs and those of his party.  In addition to the huge scale major highway projects and progress toward marinas, we are seeing evidence every day right here in our little town of Cabrera in the form of road paving, storm gutters, and general improvements in the infrastructure.

If you have any interest whatsoever in either relocating to or investing in this region of the Dominican Republic I suspect you will be quite encouraged about what you hear in this video.

Pretty exciting I think.  In a world where real estate values are basically stagnant and where much of the population live in fear about what is just around the corner, I have to admit that it is quite invigorating to be surrounded by people that are excited and positive about what is happening in their world.  Trust me, you owe it to yourself to get down here on one of our little discovery tours and see this for yourself.

For now, it’s Barry off to the “car wash” for a great fried chicken dinner and a little Brugal with the locals and some expat friends.

Cbob August 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I was fascinated to hear DR are installing fibre optics. For me, having uncapped high speed broadband internet that is affordable is a must for me.

What are the current costs of broadband internet in the DR? And any idea of fibre costs per month in the future?

Barry August 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Sorry but no one knows what the cost is and this estimate of about two and a half years is just that an estimate. If we hear any more reliable information I’ll post it. Thanks

Dave August 17, 2013 at 7:46 am

Thanks Barry. Just wanted to let you know…the videos are EXCELLENT!! It took me about 6 months to learn all this. You’ve already answered questions I didn’t even know to ask back then. Keep em coming!

Barry August 17, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Dave appreciate the comment.

Kevin S. August 18, 2013 at 2:17 am

While actually going to the DR is invaluable in learning about the history and local customs, this History Series has been tremendous… it’s kind of like the “crib-notes” version of the full tour!

Speaking of tour, our family is looking forward to another trip to Cabrera this Fall to visit our DR Escapes family! We can’t wait!

Kevin

Barry August 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Great we’ll all be here for you. Look forward to seeing you soon.
Barry

Denise August 19, 2013 at 12:07 am

I have to agree about Danilo. Living here in Cabrera and going to the small towns and seeing the beautiful new schools and the children talking about going to school from 8 to 4 and putting emphasis on education is amazing. They have a ways to go to changing all the attitudes on learning but Danilo is really accomplishing the things that he brought forth about education. It also seems that the talk of corruption and cronyism has subsided with his administration. It is refreshing when corrupt and do nothing politicians are everywhere, to see one that keeps himself and many in his administration accountable.

Barry August 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I have to admit I’m still shocked of all the improvements made over the last year. While we folks living in this region may have less variety of things in the long run I feel it enhances the appreciation of each of them. Silly example last time I was in the states visiting my mom I wanted to buy some cold cereal. When I rounded the corner I saw so many different brands it was confusing. Started looking at several I’ve never seen here and by the time I was done looking at them and reading their content I actually forgot to buy any. I know it sounds silly but true never the less. Anyway let anticipate this growth continuing but in a sustainable fashion.
Be well always
Barry

Willy August 19, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Muy buen video y excelente trabajo acerca del presidente medina, la verdad es que todos estamos sorprendidos de ver la sensibilidad humana con la que se maneja nuestro presidente, algo que no es común en los políticos, a tan solo un año de su gobierno, el país y cada uno de sus habitantes hemos sentido el gran cambio positivo en favor de los mas necesitados, como decía su slogan de campana, se está haciendo lo que nunca se hizo.

Barry August 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Si esto es cierto. Cuando la gente vea la verdad de repente ya no parece importar whther viene del blanco, morado, rojo o lo que sea del partido que usted menciona. Las palabras son un producto barato, pero la acción dice mucho. Gracias por tu comentario. God Bless

johnsteven August 21, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Great job Barry.All the work this president has done in only a year is amazing.I have been here for almost 15 years and no president has made improvements like this.Even those who support the PRD the opposing party are very impressed by the projects which are going on in the country.
Just a little bit of info from DOMININCAN TODAY.COM .Last year this country had investments over 5 billion dollars making it the leader in this region.

Barry August 21, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Yea it’s seems to be a good time for the region as more investments are starting to arrive into the country. The diversity Danilo has launched has had a fantastic effect. Russia, Canada, The US, and a large part of Europe seems to agree. The balance of the BRICS are looking interested as well. With the very recent currency control just set in place over in India it’s no longer deniable what’s coming to a nation near you. I’m still saying in this artificial induced scenario floating currencies may be better than base currency as floating currencies have always been worth zero outside of their own nation. By their name they will float and adhere to whatever will become currency and adjust as they always have done in the past. Look at what just happened in Syria. IT MAKES NO SENSE as they’ve already had the upper hand. NOW TWO DAYS after the arrival of a Team from the States there’s a chemical attack… and within just a few miles of where they were staying… Smells bad actually it stinks. The death toll started at 200, now it well over a thousand. I DON’T KNOW but this sure looks like another Iraq all over again and may just may be the false flag once their done with the bullshit propaganda on the uninformed masses. REMEMBER ” Barry you’ll know what we mean come the first half of 2013″ proving very true.

Josh August 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Appreciate the time you put into your articles, Barry, it definitely shows. It was great catching up as well. I look forward to my next visit.

Barry September 1, 2013 at 2:19 am

Thanks Looking forward to seeing you soon. Actually all of the DR escapes family are. There are so many more people for you to meet it’s amazing. Appreciate the comments.

Barry