New Roads Complete Loma Alta ENJOY!!!

Building rain gutters all by hand JUST SIX WEEKS AGO!!!

Building rain gutters all by hand JUST SIX WEEKS AGO!!!

Now that I’m back up and running and the new computer is working well I decided to take another tip to Loma Alta. I would like to bring this to your attention and to also prove a good point. The point is western nations are literately drowning in endless red tape and permitting. That’s causing you to lose out on several fronts of investing and being able to operate any business entity. At the end of it all net of expenses most no longer retain any sort of profit margin that makes all the time and effort worth it. This has been cleverly been done through several aspects two of which are permitting and endless expensive to unravel red tape.

I would like to refresh your memory of my post dated August 1, 2013 titled: Seem Loma Alta Lately Location Location and more Location. Why not take a moment, go back to the post and take a look at the pictures. You’ll see work crews installing cement drainage channels all BY HAND! That’s right forming and placing each rock by manual Labor. The finishing grading and leveling all still done by hand. Amazing but true this is still how things are constructed in the country regions of the DR. Want a pool installed behind your new home? Expect the contractor to show up with his crew, each of them carrying either a pick or a shovel. Old school if ever the term had a correct usage.

Stone Work Done By Hand. Six Weeks Prior.

Stone Work Done By Hand. Six Weeks Prior.

Now I request go back and look at what these pictures have to show. ONLY SIX WEEKS LATER!!! Amazing isn’t it and it runs a distance of several miles. We’ve had many folks come on down and pay us a visit and while on tour they’re stunned at the speed of how construction seems to get done. Adding on to this comment the fact that some of them are actually contractors in their home nation. From Government Contractors doing major highway projects to others that specialize in home construction literately all were nothing short of floored at what they’ve seen. The quality is another aspect that seemed to leave them makings comments like “We haven’t seen fit and finish work like this for decades” that’s when I save the best for last and inform them that the crown molding they admired were actually made of scrolled cement. That’s when I step back  and watch their eyes roll back in disbelief.

Here’s what I’ve come to learn over the past few years. You’re getting all hung up in permit, permission ass kissing and endless red tape. Sure the western nations retain some of the best equipment and skilled labor, that’s not my point. All things being equal these nations should easily be able to do this kind of work in one third the time… AND IT COULD!!! except for the fact that even the best personnel and most advanced equipment is useless unless it’s actually being put to use. Blame your Government for the permitting, red tape and other so called necessary bullshit they’ve got most believing is actually needed. Stop and think about it and you’ll have to agree as how else can a man with a shovel move more dirt than back hoe.

The same holds true for the folks who want to build their own home or do some planting or perhaps best yet start their own business while living in the DR. Are there some rules OF COURSE but the real important question you should be asking is are they ridiculous and never ending… no there more of a joke compared to what you’ve been made to adhere to for decades now.

Many of the DR escapes folks who purchased properties in either the Loma Alta, Los Valles, Pusa Honda and the entire area we’re happy for you as for sure you can count on a nice appreciation. There are still some good deals that we’re keeping private for our DR Escapes family so it’s still not to late but time is of the essence.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is right now. Until next time this is Barry in DR.

SIX WEEKS LATER, The Finished Product:

Loma Alta 4

Loma Alta 17

Loma Alta 16

Loma Alta 15

Loma Alta 12

Loma Alta 11

Loma Alta 8

Loma Alta 5

Chris P September 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Amaaaaasing !! You are so right regarding the restrictions to business or development in general , here in Canada as well …… unless you are a contractor working for the city or province or gov’t . Right here in front of my home I see the stupidity of it…… rough torn holes along the side ( even thought they come by with two men and the driver to patch the hole … twice this summer and not one was it fully patched !! ) of the road even though it is posted as a ” bike friendly roadway… posted no less!!! ) Besides the fact that the road is very narrow, even the police speed down this road often. So we have a so called bike friendly road which does not allow you to stay close to the curb so you are forced to be a potential victim ….. and they cracked down on bikes riding on the side walk too !! Oh man!, the situation gets worse….. because the sidewalks are in bad shape, the motorized wheel chairs and such ride down the road ( even thought we paid for graduated intersection curbs for them ) like they own it too !! Even at dusk with no lights or a flag or nothing easy to see…… Maybe they are the smart ones trying to get out of this madness !? I just wish they would not put us drivers at risk of losing everything for hitting such a target so hard to avoid. Our laws will sink you quick here just over one idiot or person paying more attention to their personal communication devise than their surroundings ! Kind of like the masses not paying attention to what is happening to their ” Surroundings ie. Country “.
See you soon Barry

Barry September 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi Chris, good to hear from you. Yea it’s amazing how fast things can be done without outside intervention. Being someone who is paradoxical by nature the other side of the picture is if you’re expecting things to be taken care of for you don’t. You have to act and do for yourself and then share with others. the police won’t be coming over to help you sort out issues… but they also won’t be meddling in almost everything you do. Always it’s a give and take. For many of us we’re OK with taking care of and thinking for ourselves. They say while being illuminated it gets pretty dark at times. Opps there I go again. See you soon.
Barry in DR

Chris P September 25, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Very good then….. living and breathing fresh air while eating great organic vegetables that I share with my Dobermans like I did with my ” big little girl ” Whisky and breeding self protection companions just might be a real good idea. Not saying it is more dangerous there than here …. only agreeing with taking care of yourself instead of depending on the authorities so much. If for no other reason, they are a good companion and an early detection system. You could be hurt before the burglar alarm sends backup !! I love Dobermans !
The police are not that helpful here either. You got to be killed to get some damn attention , he he.
I do remember reading about what it was before gov’t got so intrusive ……. We took care of each other ….. what comes around , goes around! Take for instance the great Chicago fire….. they did not have gov’t disaster zone funding but they got by better than they did in many disasters in the last many years !
I cannot wait to ride down these roads you show on a bike and hang out on the beach!

bye for now , see you soon Barry …..

Joshua September 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Awesome!! Excited about coming down soon and seeing the improvements.

Barry September 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

I think you’ll be more than very pleased. Be seeing you soon.
Barry

Gary September 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Hi Barry,

Barry you predicted when we were there that there will be a paved road soon but I’m surprised to have seen it so fast. Wow it’s amazing. As you know our whole family was there in late June and there was only a dirt road. I remember we had to go fairly slow to see the property that we bought. What a difference. It looks like a typical new road here in the states. Even in the states they don’t put up a road that fast. It confirms our decision to buy the property in Loma Alta was a correct one. They don’t do that unless they envision greater business activity and residential growth. I’m looking forward to coming back and seeing more progress.

Barry September 30, 2013 at 3:58 am

Thanks Gary, Glad you see it that way as your correct. Several good folks will be sorry as soon enough will be priced out of this wonderful area. All of us here are looking forward to your returning.

Barry in DR

Randy Rode October 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I am constantly amazed at how public works projects get finished so fast here in Cabrera, and the country in general. The amount of infrastructure improvements in the last few years is incrdible!
While other countries debate and discuss and order up more studies, here, the job just gets done. It is a kind of grassroots system, where local workers are used, keeping the money in the community, instead of exporting it out to big companies that are already financially successful.
The other day I saw a local resident of our neighborhood painting the railings on a small concrete bridge, NICE! Getting the job done.

Barry October 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hi Capt. Nice to see your post. Yea while no place is perfect and we as any other country struggle with our issues it is still the old ways that rule. The one thing in life that’s constant is change. We to fall into that realm of the universal laws but in comparison I fell asking to what degree makes for a good point. While not perfect by any means still has it’s advantages along with it’s disadvantages and the advantages are still outweighing from what I can see. This holds true especially when traveling and witnessing what I see in the western nations.

Denise October 3, 2013 at 3:22 am

This is amazing….I saw when it was going up but have not been back for a couple of weeks and look at the progress!!!! Unbelievable. I think it shows what can be done when ones are really motivated. Yes, this is going to really improve the lives of the locals. Great stuff.

Barry October 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Coming from a long time resident of the region this is most reassuring to hear how the residents view the progress. Thanks for the imput.

Barry