Modern Hospital Serves Cabrera Expats – Local Doctor Explains Specialties

CMC Scanner

CMC Scanner

Expat healthcare services at Cabarete Medical Center (CMC) are high quality and cover most of the specialties you would find in any community hospital in the US.  In fact, one of the US surgeons providing charity services through this hospital affirmed that the quality of care and the facilities in CMC are right on par with any comparable sized hospital in America.

CMC MRI Unit

CMC MRI Unit

In this interview, we grabbed one of the local DR physicians to get his perspective of CMC and to learn a little more about the various specialties offered in this modern healthcare facility.   Although he was trained in the DR, even he acknowledges how much more efficient quality healthcare can be in the DR without all the layers of government red tape and insurance bureaucracy and mounds of paperwork.  This is one of the reasons expat patients are able to get top quality care at a fraction of the cost of similar procedures in the US.  And Canadian and European citizens that are  accustomed to prolonged delays under government healthcare systems have discovered that they can get in and out with immediate care at a reasonable cost.In this video we chat with one of the local surgeons at the CMC facility.

Keep checking the DR Escapes websites and our Youtube channel for more expat interviews and tours of businesses and healthcare facilities of interest to future expats. If you have not subscribed to the DRescapes Youtube channel then you may want to do that today by clicking on the link. This is one of the fastest ways to keep up to date on all the latest video tours and interviews of interest to anyone considering a move outside of the US, Canada or Europe.

If you have not subscribed to the DRescapes.com notification list, please do so by clicking JOIN OUR LIST . This is the best way for us to get you the information you need and to cover the topics that are most important to you.

And finally, if you have not already participated in one of our free DYD Discovery Tours…… WHY? Heck, worst case you get to explore another beautiful part of the world and best case you will fall in love with this little rural village overlooking the ocean that has become home to so many other expats. Click DYD TOUR to sign up for YOUR own Discovery Tour.

mike January 30, 2014 at 1:26 am

Hi Barry ; looks like a dr tour is in the works I think in march. We cant wait to see whats going on and shake your hand.
Glad to hear excellent medical is available. Im very impressed.
What is treatments and protocol for flus, colds, physicals, cancers and other minor issues that occur?
How about surgerys, like stitches and hernias and torn muscles knee issues? Is that handled in Cabrera.

Looking forward to meeting you. m

Barry January 30, 2014 at 2:41 am

Hi Mike Yea it’s all available in the country. We’ll chat lots when you’re here. Good to hear from you and I hope all is well with you know what I mean.

Bill in Pennsylvania February 5, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Hey Barry, thanks for painting a picture for those of us who have not been down for a DYD tour yet!
I’m a practicing doctor here in the US and am strongly considering a move to the DR so I can practice a more natural and causation based approach , unlike the symptom based paradigm that is taught in all US schools.
The DR seems the perfect place with the state of the art facilities and a small town feel of community that is attracting me so.

Thanks for all you do for us! You’re making it harder for me to find reasons to stay in the US. It just seems my way of thinking just doesn’t fit in anymore with this “statist” attitude that is growing so prevalent in the US now. Also, I would love to meet Dr. Franck someday soon on your DYD tour.

Sincerely, Dr. Bill in USSA

Barry February 6, 2014 at 2:59 am

Thanks appreciate the comment. It’s all about helping folks find possible options. Stay tuned and again we all appreciate everyone’s input.

Randy Rode February 22, 2014 at 10:31 pm

“I have had nothing but positive experiences with the Dominican medical system, and have always been treated with the utmost compassion and excellence, and at a fraction of the cost.

Here in Cabrera the cost of an office visit is only 500 pesos, which is only $11.63 USD!

I have all my blood work done right here at the clinic, and get the results back the same day.

I think it is an exaggeration to say that people needing medical attention are left for dead on the steps of the Dominican hospitals, I have no knowledge of this happening.

One could make the argument that I have received good medical care because I am a foreigner, but this is not necessarily true.

Good health insurance is available to everyone in the country, and at a fraction of the cost anywhere else, around $15.00 a month, for decent coverage. A lot of my Dominican friends enjoy the benefits of health insurance, at affordable prices.

I cannot afford to be sick in the U.S., it is just too expensive. An office visit is hundreds of dollars and then the price goes up from there, lab costs, tests, it is just not possible for me to pay those high costs.

Even with Medicare and Medicaid, the co-payments are way out of line with my budget.”

Capt. Randy Rode

Dominican Republic Sportfishing and B&B

Barry February 22, 2014 at 10:33 pm

For the most part its been the same experience for our family.