Sustainable Living In Cabrera Dominican Republic – Local Home Tour

Jose's Sustainable Living In Cabrera Dominican Republic

Jose’s Sustainable Living In Cabrera Dominican Republic

On a recent DYD tour, my friend Christopher wanted to focus our tour on anything related to sustainable living since that is his passion.  What an interesting week.  We headed off the routine route and up into the hills to get a taste of life up in the hills.  We drove up in the mountains to the source of our natural water supply.  As I have shared before, we generally rely on gravity fed water that powers its way down the mountains into our little village of Cabrera.  We even got in a little 4-wheelin on some of the rugged little rock roads and streambeds.

Christopher on Sustainable Living

Christopher on Sustainable Living

One of the interesting little side stops was at my friend Jose’s home, just above Cabrera.  Jose is an interesting character that has some amazing talent in land use and appears to have a magic green thumb.  On one little homesite, Jose grows enough fruit and vegetables for himself, his family and many of his friends.  He even grows a few TONS of yucca to sell to the restaurants… all in his little homestead.  Of course, maybe I should give a little credit for Jose’s green thumb to the rather incredible soil, weather and water here on the north coast.  Heck, even the fence posts grow into trees within a year.

Christopher was so impressed with Jose’s sustainable lifestyle, that he pulled out his own video camera and shot an interview with Jose as he walked around the little homestead.

In this first video, of a two part video interview, Christopher takes a look at Jose’s little organic garden, his yucca patch and the most amazing little outdoor kitchen at Jose’s house.  Down here in Cabrera Dominican Republic, we spend a lot of time outdoors and outdoor kitchens like you will see in this video are common with the locals and many of the expats.

In this second video, Christopher ventures out into the yard checking out the incredible views Jose enjoys and checks out more of the gardens and yards of the property.

Come check out our little island paradise.  You may just find that you too would like to live this sustainable lifestyle of abundant organic fruits and vegetables, fresh seafood, grass grazed beef and free range chickens.  Our free Discovery Tours of the north coast are a great way to see what life here is really like and to meet locals like Jose and other expats that have opted for a more sustainable lifestyle.

Wayne in FL November 21, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Excellent job Chris and Barry! This really shows what is possible with a small piece of land and a little work. Year round harvesting of TRULY organic fruits/veggies, irrigated with rain or gravity fed water. When communities start living this way it removes the bondage to the Gov/Agribusiness food-chain. Small scale, local farming in your back yard can produce more food than a family can consume. Sure you can do this in many parts of North America, but you only have a short growing season. Once winter hits you’re done for 6 months. Now where’s your food coming from? To me, having a perfect climate year round is a HUGE benefit regardless of where you plan to live. The ability to grow food like this year round is priceless! Not to mention no need for heating or AC Cooling your home when you’re located in an ideal spot that takes advantage of the trade winds. Talk about sustainable living…does it get any simpler?

Keep up the good work Barry!…I think videos like these really show the benefits of what you have down there. Counting down the days until I can come down and
visit.

Barry November 22, 2014 at 12:18 am

Thanks Wayne. All of us are looking forward to meeting you soon. Currently with three folks who are very impressed. For one its his 12 time in the country and stated this absolutely blows away any of his other visits. Had planed to stay in Cabrera for the tour and then for the balance of his three weeks move around the north coast. He just informed me that he’s staying in Cabrera for the balance of his stay. I booked him a very simple place today. Just thought you might want to know. Got to run. Thanks for the comments.

Paul fromMichigan November 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I have been reading about a mosquitoes which carries chikungunya in all of the caribbean countries. Dominican Republic is on the list that has chikungunya. Is this a problem in the Dominican? How are you protecting yourself from this?

Barry November 22, 2014 at 12:10 am

We’re not. If you get it its like a flu. Not the end of the world. I’ve already had it. Once it’s caught you’re not able to be reinfected ever again.

Christopher November 23, 2014 at 4:11 am

Hi Paul…I researched chikungunya and it is in the Dominican as well as other Caribbean countries. Barry is the guy to get an answer from on how many people he has met who have gotten it in the DR. Do not worry though, papaya leaf juice has been successful in getting rid of chikungunya and dengue fever which happens to be life threatening. You drink the juice of papaya leaf for 2-3 days during the initial week fever period. It is understood to increase the white blood cell and platelet count which chikungunya affects along with the immune system. Check out the research formal and informal online. Some from India and some from Malaysia if I remember right. The papaya leaf can be blended in a blender, juiced in a vegetable or wheat grass juicer or it can me mascerated by hand with a stone grinder.

Once you have chikungunya, you can use the same papaya leaf and soursop / guanabana in tea (I would believe juice would be more powerful) to get rid of the pain and inflammation in your joints. A doctor namer Paul Haider from Puerto has some good you tube videos on this…

Dave December 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Great info Christopher. Thanks for posting. I thought I had chikungunya a few weeks ago and I was prepared to ride it out for the duration. Not sure what I had but it only lasted a few days. I love natural remedies. I’ll definitely remember the papaya leaves. Nature is always preferable to something conjured up in a lab somewhere.

Gary December 2, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Chris did a great job in the interview. It really hit the spot with me. The sustainable way that Jose is living is the way to go. I looked at that video and I said that’s my role model if I decide to live in the DR. Gravity fed water, all year round temperate climate, fertile soil, plentiful fish and rainfall make this area perfect for the sustainable life. What’s not to like. Barry, looking forward to visiting you and Liane.

Gary

Barry December 3, 2014 at 2:09 am

There’s always something not to like if that’s what you’re looking for. I’ve always believed that people who don’t find parking spaces arelooking for no place to park.Be seeing you soon.

Jackie January 3, 2016 at 12:04 am

Hi Chris, hope all is well.

Any chance I could watch your videos. They just say “Private video” and don’t come through.

Many thanks!