Our Interview On The Borderless Podcast

Borderless Blog Interview Of Barry

Borderless Blog Interview Of Barry

I was honored to be interviewed for a segment on the Borderless Podcast.  If you are not yet familiar with the Borderless Podcast, you should be.  The podcast and website is run by James Guzman and Jonathan Lockwood.  This website is for those wanting to expand their horizons and think outside their own cultural boxes. Borders are the things physical or psychological which hold us back from our true potential. In order to progress individually and as a species we must learn to recognize these traps and find ways around them. The focus of the Borderless Blog and Podcast is on practical information for those that are interested in traveling, investing and living in non-conventional markets.

Check out the interview… I think it was a good one…

Here is the index of the topics we covered in that interview.

How Barry started on his path (3:35)
The unsustainability of western nations (6:20)
Why Barry chose to live in Dominican Republic (7:55)
The affects of the 2008 crash (9:45)
When will the western nations start to collapse (11:35)
The pros of living in DR (13:45)
The cons of living in DR (16:45)
Barry’s DR Escapes tour service (20:00)
Citizenship process in DR (23:15)
Prices of real estate in DR (30:00)
Prices of other expenses in DR (32:30)
Medical Care (33:11)
Other expats that live there (35:40)
Rental prices (36:00)
The climate (37:15)
Barry’s advice to aspiring entrepreneurs (39:29)

Let me know what you think.  I did gloss over one thing that might be important for some of you.  In the interview I indicated that it might take a typical expat up to 7 years to get full citizenship and a 2nd passport.  Actually there are faster ways if you enter into the country as a permanent resident under one of the fast track programs.  Specifically there are fast track programs available for retirees, investors and certain corporate types.  In those cases you can apply for citizenship and a 2nd passport after only being a permanent resident for only 2 years.  But I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, so I always recommend you take us up on our offer for you to have a free consultation with the Immigration attorney that we have found has all the answers.  Click on the blue PassportDR banner if you would like to do that.

And I do encourage you to subscribe to the Borderless Podcast by clicking on the picture below.

Paul January 6, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Great and well rounded discussion on becoming borderless and about life in the D.R. as one of the great options. My Wife and I are from one of the largest cities in America and are a very young 47 and 57 : ) . We are also one of many who Barry has assisted on our path to tearing down our borders. We can say everything we have experienced is exactly as he has accurately described. We used D.R Escapes and their free discovery tour and introduction to the north east coast around the Cabrera area. This was 1-1/2 years ago and it is still amazing to us. The landscape, the people, the simplicity in lifestyle, the fresh healthy food, the social energy of the town where people are out everywhere talking and socializing. It is all wonderful to experience and the cultural mix is diverse! Obviously heavy with Dominican people but many others from all over the world. We have opened bank accounts, bought property, have recently obtained residency and are planning our move to Cabrera to build our dream home. I can promise you this. It is not like where you come from, but in my mind in mostly good ways. It is clearly not for everyone but it has a lot to offer people who want to experience a freedom that has been long lost in other parts of the world, simplicity and a slower pace that lends itself to truly living and relationships. We are not paid or compensated in any way by Barry or D.R escapes for coming here and listening and commenting on this interview. Much to the contrary, we have invested a lot in a new life and working to have it. We were never charged a penny for his services, introductions, connections and help. As he noted in the interview, this is a business for him, and we did buy property with his help for which he earned a fee. However, it is clearly a passion for him to want to share a better way of life for those who want it and who themselves would like to share it with like minded people. Hopefully we are sharing and passing on to others what has been given to us. For any of you who might seek to tear down your boarders and experience a simpler, better way of life in the impending face of a diminishing economy and society, or if you just want to have a plan “B” it is worth a look. I can Honestly say we would not be anywhere near this far in realizing this dream had it not been for Barry and DR Escapes. Hope to meet you if you visit Cabrera. Paul & Elizabeth

john January 7, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Perfect response Paul, could not have said it better myself.jb

Gary January 7, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Hi Barry,
I found the interview very informative and really answered some questions that I had. You were honest, straightforward and frank with the two gentlemen. Besides the many pros of living in Cabrera I liked how you explained the cons. The main con is for people who need daily external stimulation that you would find in a major developed nation city like movies, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc. Of course this would go for any person in the world wanting to live in the country, far away from a major city. As you explained, if you need this on a daily or semi daily basis then Cabrera is not for you. Also as you explained, if you want sustainable, safe, affordable living with very local access to plenty of fresh water, organically grown fruits, vegetables, fish and meat then Cabrera is the place to be. Considering that here in southern California our supply chain for basic food and water comes from hundreds of miles away with our tap water completely dependent on electricity for pumping, then Cabrera looks very appealing. Having your water gravity fed and your food within easy reach makes Cabrera really appealing.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Barry in DR January 7, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post their comments. We appreciate you trying to help others just as others have been trying to help you. You never know who you might be nudging off the fence post of closed mindedness.

Dave January 9, 2015 at 3:59 am

Excellent interview Barry. As someone who has followed through and actually made the move I can attest to the accuracy of all of it. I found myself thinking “yea, that’s pretty much spot on” throughout the interview.

My wife and I are so thankful to have met Barry and Liane. They have been there every step of the way to offer their advice, their time, and guidance without asking for anything in return. Pay it forward. That’s it.

Anyone who has thought about taking the tour should know that it is worth the trip. The word “tour” doesn’t seem to fit though. Come see us and let us show you how we live is more accurate. It was extremely educational. There haven’t been many bad surprises for us so far ….but many, many good ones.

Barry January 10, 2015 at 2:31 am

Thanks guys several folks with us now so get ready to meet more good people. Will be in touch

Kevin S January 11, 2015 at 3:09 am

Ditto. As one who has visited now a handful of times, it was a great refresher. Can not agree more with the things discussed in the interview!

Christopher January 12, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Barry an excellent and exciting interview with Jonathan and James, you guys had a very good flow of communication. As always your knowledge was intricate and core. The interview on the Cabrera region, sustainability and foods and second residencies intrigued me just the same to when we traveled together throughout Cabrera and the North Coast of the Dominican on your DR Escapes tour in October of ’14. I am looking forward to having time off from work to catch up on more of your posts…Christopher

Barry January 13, 2015 at 4:45 am

Thanks Chris hope you enjoy the farm and organic videos. Liane and I were thinking of you when there. We know you would have loved the variety of things growing. It was ALIVE

Tim Conley January 19, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This was a very helpful and informative interview. I have been using it as a resource to direct people to as an introduction to the DR. Along with the escapes tour, which I’ve taken twice, anyone interested in securing safety for their family will find Barry and his services invaluable.