Check out this little thought provoking documentary film and then answer a few simple questions. Who controls YOUR destiny? Who is depriving YOU of happiness and that fulfilling sense of adventure and exploration that we all enjoyed as little kids before we stepped on the treadmill of life?
As I watched this little 8 minute documentary I found myself reminiscing about the life I left in the United States and Canada. I remember how it was before we discovered the North Coast of the Dominican Republic. It is easy now for me to contrast life here compared to the life shown in that documentary.
We are surrounded by inexpensive chemical free organic foods. We have abundant gravity fed water that is not dependent on fossil fuels or electricity. We are surrounded by people that are happy despite the fact that many of them have little in the way of money or assets. Life moves at a slower pace, yet everyday is an adventure and can be filled with as much discovery as we want.
There were some particularly salient points in this documentary that are worth repeating here…
- we’ve become disconnected
- living with an illusion of choice
- in this world of followers we have forgotten to lead ourselves
- we have mastered the act of killing… now lets master the joy of living
- this present moment is what every step, every breath and every death has led to
- you can choose to carve your own path or follow the road countless others have already taken
- life is not a movie, the script is not already written, we are the writers… this is your story
- stop waiting for change… be the change you want to see
- We share a common goal… happiness
Now, take a step off the treadmill and make it happen. Happiness is not a spectator sport.
For now it is Barry… looking forward to our weekend at one of the largest Carnivals in the Dominican Republic. Carnival is always a fun time of the year in many Latin cultures, and that is certainly the case here in the Dominican Republic.
Think about what you’ve just watched. Ponder on what you’ve just read. Just don’t take too long while you’re doing it. Until next time this is Barry in DR.