Joys Of Expat Lifestyle In Cabrera Dominican Republic

Roast Pig Straight Off The GrillGetting together with friends, both expats and locals alike, is one of the great joys of living offshore on a Caribbean island.  Of course we have enjoyed similar experiences with family and friends throughout the years in our home countries, but there is something especially rewarding when you are the guest in a foreign land.

We find that many of the friendliest local families living in the Cabrera Dominican Republic region share our love of the land and our appreciation for fresh, organic foods that are so readily available in this area.  In this short video, we get together with Jose and his family for a pig roast.

Roast Pig Cooking - Ready To Be Served With Fresh Organic Vegetables And Tropical Fruits

Roast Pig Cooking – Ready To Be Served With Fresh Organic Vegetables And Tropical Fruits

Jose is one of the local farmers that we rely on for local knowledge and folklore about sustainable farming and how to get the most out of the land without depleting it.  It seems that Jose is growing something delicious and edible on every spare inch of his homestead in the hills overlooking the coastline.  For us, every afternoon spent at Jose’s place is another opportunity to build on our growing knowledge about organic farming.

In addition to a great afternoon with friends, the pig roast was one more opportunity to appreciate a lower cost of living……

For example, at this abundant pig roast we feasted on roast pig, home-grown organic vegetables, home cooked Dominican dishes and fresh local juices from the land.  Our out-of-pocket cost for the whole feast was about $100 for the roast pig….. with enough leftovers to feed several families for a week.

We would love for you to sample our expat lifestyle for yourself on one of our free Discovery Tours.  So many of our visitors are amazed that it is possible to live such a rich life on such a limited budget.  Here it really is possible to live a quality retirement on Social Security and a little savings.  And if you have tucked away a little more in a 401k or investments, you may find that you can live like a king on what you would pay for subdivision life in an average American neighborhood.

Tanja Meski July 3, 2016 at 8:57 am

Organic and ethical food should be the only food to ever consume. We owe that to our fellow animals.

One of the key factors, for when it comes to feasting with meat and being able to enjoy it, for me personally, is that the animal has not suffered in it’s lifetime. If the animal has had a nice life, roaming with space, other similar species as friends and in general lived a species-specific lifestyle, it’s OK to eat that kind of meat. The western meat industry is horrifying torture for the animals. And yes, the pesticides do follow the cycle into our system. Organic is the only way to go. We should know better by now. Thanks Barry!

Barry July 5, 2016 at 2:55 am

Excellent thoughts. Thanks for the comment.

Sashayaris July 9, 2016 at 3:26 am

Hi im thinking of planning to go for vacation to see how is the life over there…cause im thinking of moving over there but i want to know how the life is over there im from puerto rico and i want to know the difference between puerto rico and santo domingo… Would it be alot to ask to tell me the difference…

Barry July 9, 2016 at 1:49 pm

You learn by experience not by the opinion of others. While I’ve been in both places and they are different from each other doesn’t really amount to much. The DR is like several countries within a country. Go and learn what is right for you. Its the only way. However SD is a big city with over 4 million people. Like every other big city it has its good bad points.

Larry E Walker August 1, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Barry,

My wife and I can hardly wait to experience it. We are coming with opened minds, opened eyes, and opened ears to learn and take in as much as we can during our tour. Thanks for the post.

Larry

Tamas August 2, 2016 at 12:16 am

I lived for 30+ years on several islands. The last one was the DR. 8 yers in Sosua. With a very limited income ( less than $1,00 a month). Lived very well, needing nothing. I turned 70 & health insurance cost went to US rates if I could get it. I moved to central Florida to obtain Medicate & mrdicaid. I thought that I would need it. For over 4 years I stayed healthy, then BAM, a couple of bad afflictions descended upon me. Well after 14 months of hell, I’m hale & hearty once more. I’m returning to the best country that I’ve ever lived in. Sure, I won’t have insurance, but there are clinics & with citizenship, I can get by just fine. I;m looking into Cabrera as a new home. I’m still poor by most standards, but will enjoy the rest of my life in a place with wonderful people, fantastic food, weather that overall is sublime. I will need info on a place to live, (nothing fancy), a oof that doesn’t leak, decent kiitchen & proximity to stores, bars & good people. Barry, I am looking forward to meeting you & your friends. I’m sure that there is room in Cabrera for a non wealthy person. Any questions, Google Tamas /”PARIS REVIEW”. Any replies are welcome. P.S. I’m single & looking to change that status!

Barry August 2, 2016 at 12:52 am

Tamas, Thanks you for sharing your story. I’m pleased to hear you’re healthy and didn’t need to use that health insurance plan. Feel free to reach out when here. We’ll try to find you something that will work for you. I’m quite confident that we’ll be able to. We know lots of good folks who have extra flats. Stay well and thanks for the comment. We’ll be looking forward to hearing from you in the future.